Sunday 27 May 2012

ok so this is my first ever attempt at blogging, on top of that i have to go out in about 30 mins so ill make it short and sweet for this 1

last year when i had my skywatcher200p i didn't ever bother to collimate it, nor was it goto capable - i just shoved in four or five eyepieces with and without a 2x barlow at the time, didn't have a clue what i was doing and saw saturn, mars, the moon and a lots of points of light - no messieurs, nothing else - i became disheartened and sold it as i had a wedding to pay for etc etc...

NOW, I'm back on the scene with the help of the SGL crew who are all brilliant (especially the other essex boys haha), helping a new friend to an extent with canon camera advice and feeling like part of the forums - all good so far


FRIDAY AFTERNOON - my long awaited skyliner 250px (goto - i learnt this time !!!!) finally arrived and i will attach here the exciting build up and assembly.... disaster however struck my 2 times - the first was i thought 2 parts were missing and there was no viewing that could take place... eventually after a lot of flapping they were there - just so well packed i couldn't see them... that took care of the base part of my new Dob!

i took the optical tube out the box and lo and behold a large dent is present !!! some horrible nightmare person who needs shooting thinks its funny to either drop or bang something into my long awaited scope - disheartened i continued to put it together not really very pleased or feeling like i could love this scope until the replacement came (i was told i had the last 1 of the batch and the next order was some time away by the supplier) so here i am stuck with damaged goods, however determined to make the best of it i looked up ...

SHIMMER !!!!! my seeing was just horrendous - saturn looked like a squirrels nut (all bumpy and stuff) and the moon was plain drunk - could it be collimation... I've never done that before

SATURDAY DAYTIME - a three hour attempt at trying to understand astrobabys guide has i THINK ruined my day... I'm definitely someone who needs to be shown (if anyone in essex is about anytime soon - even a weekend day - id be very grateful for a little time to show me (ill buy u a beer) !!  )how to collimate 

so the spider vanes were ok, I'm not sure if the mirror did appear totally central but when adjusting the 3 allen keys which determine tilt I'm pretty sure the whole mirror holder moved round a bit... did it go back to where it should be - i don't know ! i assumed it did but now i cannot see any of the primary mirror clips - have i broken the optics... I'm guessing not - i just really need help (pretty please?)

so i can't do a star test as I'm out tonight sadly - so the agony of not knowing will continue...

i enclose pics of the setup and the moment the dent in the optic tube was discovered... night night for now !


they really are big boxes

heavy !

box 1 open

box 1 laid out

you have to add the feet 1st

then assemble the sides and front

like this

and this

then place it level



disaster.... the dent moment

nice - but clearly dented

tearful moment

she is pretty though ! dent aside



1 comment: